Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Nina Marchetto
Event Analysis




This past week I had the pleasure of attending the Project Mexico Auction. At first my initial intentions were not as pure as I would have liked others to know, there was a free buffet, so I heard, and I would be there. Little did I know that I actually had to pay for the food, which I did, that benefited the Project Mexico organization. The auction outside of the food was interesting. It was a change, something new learned for me, I thought that all auctions were verbal, fast paced, and exciting. This auction was a silent auction in which you would write down the amount of money you were willing to spend on a certain item. The items ranged from scrabble, i-pods, to ethnic dresses, foods, and many other services available.
Through this experience there were many things that I was never aware of; that I probably should have been. My mother is Mexican, so I feel that I hold an obligation to my heritage to be knowledgeable about the certain situations that the people are in. The truth is I am in no way knowledgeable of the Mexican cultures, economic status, or moral of the people. Through this project Mexico auction the importance that is stressed on the giving of the heart is greatly represented. You can give as much money as you want, which will definitely help out, but I feel like the people will appreciate the sincerity of your actions and your kind words more.
Through this presentation and welcoming of a different culture into our college campus there is a general link to the Jesuit traditions and teachings. The Jesuits teach us to be a well-rounded person and be aware of our surroundings. The world we live in surrounds different people, their culture and us and different lifestyle surrounds us. This present diversity on campus, which can be represented clearly through the programs we choose to partake in and also the individuals as well; can help us achieve that well rounded persona we wish to become. People of different background can help you find interest in things you had never thought of trying before. By opening yourself up to these helpful suggestions one can hopefully find a calling in life that surprises them.
The food shock at project Mexico auction was not what I expected. My mother sometimes makes authentic Mexican food and it was not up to that caliber, but I can only imagine how cooking styles change if your cooking for the masses.
This experience shows how diverse our school really is, and how it does present itself with numerous opportunities to help out and be a part of a community. The extra hand we are lending to Mexico, and also other countries in need are examples of following the Jesuit teachings, as well as our own vocational needs.

No comments: